Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Hacking your thoughts

While working on my poker game, I wanted to alter how I was thinking so that I could pick up on the behavior of the other players. I thought of a way to "hack" my thinking to incorporate new thoughts.

Generally, when I'm at a poker table, I have a running commentary in my head about the players and the action, e.g. "This person just did a continuation bet after raising preflop" or "Three people called the continuation bet".

What I thought of is adding more possible outcomes given the start of a sentence. For example, using the thought "This person just did a continuation bet" I can add new thoughts like "... how often do they do that?" and "... the bet was about x% of the pot"

This can also apply to thoughts like "This person tends to fold on the flop after a bet" followed by the new thought "...so I may want to tend to bet if they're in the pot to get them out"

The point is that if I train myself to have various thoughts with the same start of a thought, then my mind will more easily go down those new paths when prompted. Thus I can increase the amount of analysis I do at the table when my normal running commentary triggers one of the new paths.

No comments: